The Hawk Conservancy Trust

I had great pleasure visiting the Hawk Conservancy Trust in the county of Hampshire. It is a conservation charity, set in 22 acres of woodland and wildflower meadow, with over 150 birds of prey on view. I never before had a chance to see so many magnificent wild birds so close: owls, vultures, falcons and eagles. I even held a hawk on my arm! One of the most interesting birds was the Secretary bird, with long legs and beautiful eye lashes. I also learnt that the preconceptions we usually have about vultures are very hurtful to these amazing birds, as it turns out they are extremely clean and gentle. Unfortunately they are now endangered and their decline leads to more carcasses and more disease spreading. 
It was a lovely sunny day and I was happy to be surrounded by wildlife but also people who enjoy nature and appreciate the beauty of birds. In fact most of the birds were treated like celebrities!
The profits go towards the conservation of endangered species, not only in the UK but worldwide.
















Comments

Popular Posts