Once Upon A Time In Greece

I recently stumbled upon my old travel photos from a time before I had a digital camera. I really like them, they seem nostalgic, as if reminding me of something forever lost, something that will never return. I could only take a few photos but maybe it was better this way, because I could see more with my own eyes and these things were intended for me only. Now everything seems more instant and more disposable. 
I spent about a month in Greece.
As I don't have many pictures, I have to rely on memories. What I remember vividly is that the air was different there and that I have never seen so many stars on a night sky. I remember that Greek wine was very sweet, darkness came quickly and bats were diving above my head. It was amazing to see Mount Olympus suddendly emerging in front of my eyes. I remember that Greek men smoked a lot and drank strong coffee, I remember the best courgettes I ever had, the golden sand on the island Skiathos and hitchhiking long distances to Thessaloniki and Larissa.
Actually all this inspired me to maybe using an analog camera for next travels.

Niedawno odkryłam swoje stare zdjęcia z podróży, z czasów zanim miałam aparat cyfrowy. Bardzo je lubię, wydają mi się nostalgiczne, są przypomnieniem czegoś co na zawsze zostało utracone i nigdy nie powróci. Mogłam zrobić jedynie ograniczoną ilość zdjęć, ale może tak było lepiej, bo mogłam zobaczyć więcej "własnymi oczami" i były to rzeczy tylko dla mnie. Dziś wszystko wydaje się bardziej natychmiastowe i jednorazowe. 
W Grecji spędziłam prawie miesiąc.
Ponieważ nie mam wielu zdjęć, muszę polegać na własnej pamięci. Najwyraźniej pamiętam, że było tam inne powietrze, i że nigdy nie widziałam tylu gwiazd na nocnym niebie. Pamiętam, że greckie wino było bardzo słodkie, ciemność zapadała szybko, a nietoperze śmigały mi nad głową. Niesamowite było ujrzeć górę Olimp. Pamiętam, że Grecy dużo palili i pili bardzo mocną kawę, pamiętam najlepsze cukinie w życiu, złote piaski na wyspie Skiathos oraz jazdę na stopa na długich trasach do Salonik i Larissy.
Właściwie to wszystko zainspirowało mnie do być może skorzystania z analogowego aparatu podczas następnej wyprawy.


 This is Athens. It was incredibly hot and there was a cloud of smog hovering above the city. All the buildings were of the same sandy white colour.

To są Ateny. Było strasznie gorąco, a nad miastem unosiła się chmura smogu. Wszystkie budynki miały ten sam, piaskowo biały kolor.


The magnificent Acropolis towering over the city was a beautiful sight.

Wspaniały Akropol górujący nad miastem to piękny widok.



 In small towns the time often seemed to stand still. I enjoyed drinking frappe (iced coffee) and looking at the sea. 

W małych miasteczkach często wydawało się, że czas stoi w miejscu. Lubiłam pić frappe (mrożoną kawę) i patrzeć na morze.



 This is Thessaloniki. It was a very friendly city with lots of students, bars and cafes along the water. My friend Joanna and I liked it more than Athens.

To Saloniki. Pamiętam je jako bardzo przyjemne miasto studenckie, z dużą ilością barów i kawiarni ciągnących się przy wodzie. Mojej przyjaciółce Joannie i mi bardziej podobało się tutaj niż w Atenach.


These are the Meteora Monasteries. According to a legend Saint Athanasius rose to the top of the mountains on wings of an eagle. Here he founded the first monastery in 1336. Breathtaking views.

To klasztory Meteora. Według legendy Św. Atanazy wzniósł się na szczyty gór na skrzydłach orła. Tutaj w roku 1336 założył pierwszy klasztor. Widoki zapierające dech.

Comments

Popular Posts