Real Jardín Botánico de Madrid

There is something about botanical gardens I really love and on my travels I always try to visit as many as I can. Being a plant lover myself I find it beautiful that someone in the past decided to create a sanctuary, a peaceful oasis dedicated solely to nature, to document it and uphold it for other people's pleasure and education.

Bardzo lubię ogrody botaniczne i w trakcie podróży staram się odwiedzać je często. Kocham rośliny i to, że ktoś w przeszłości postanowił stworzyć sanktuarium, spokojną oazę poświęconą całkowicie przyrodzie, udokumentować ją i podtrzymać dla przyjemności i wiedzy innych, wydaje mi się niezwykle budujące.

Located in the beautiful area at Plaza de Murillo and next to the Prado Museum, is the 8 hectares large Royal Botanical Garden. It was initially founded at a different place, by King Ferdinand VI on 17th October (the day of my birthday) 1755. In 1774 King Charles II ordered it to be moved to the current location. Total collection amounts to about 90,000 plants and flowers, as well as 1500 trees.

Na pięknym placu Plaza de Murillo, obok muzeum Prado, znajduje się duży na 8 hektarów królewski Ogród Botaniczny. Król Ferdynand VI założył go 17 października (moje urodziny) 1755 roku w innym miejscu.  W roku 1774 król Karol II nakazał przeniesienie ogrodu. Całościowa kolekcja to około 90 tysięcy roślin i kwiatów oraz półtora tysiąca drzew.

I visited on a hot afternoon and found pleasant shelter from the burning sun.

Odwiedziłam ogród w gorące popołudnie i znalazłam tu przyjemne schronienie przed palącym słońcem.


There is a cute little shop at the entrance to the garden selling seeds and plants but also souvenirs.

Przy wejściu do ogrodu znajduje się mały sklepik, w którym kupić można nasiona, rośliny i pamiątki.


The herbarium is the largest in Spain and contains over a million specimen. It was also my favourite part of the garden, filled with beautiful and refreshing herbal aromas.

Zielnik jest największym w Hiszpanii i liczy ponad milion gatunków. Jest to również moja ulubiona część ogrodu, przepełniona pięknymi, odświeżającymi zapachami.




I also enjoyed the palm trees section of the garden. I never realised there were so many different kinds.

Podobała mi się też część poświęcona drzewom palmowym. Nie zdawałam sobie sprawy, że jest ich tak wiele rodzajów.


In two greenhouses there is a collection of tropical plants and bryophytes. As I stepped in I felt like entering a sauna, the air was so humid I could instantly feel the water on my skin.

W dwóch szklarniach znajduje się zbiór roślin tropikalnych i mszaków. Gdy weszłam do środka poczułam się jak w saunie. Powietrze było tak wilgotne, że natychmiast poczułam na skórze wodę.


Comments

Popular Posts