Lombardy Part 4 - Duomo di Milano

"What a wonder it is! So grand, so solemn, so vast! And yet, so delicate, so airy, so graceful!" (Mark Twain)


I like spending time in smaller cities and preferably close to nature, so I had mixed feelings about visiting a huge metropolis that is Milan. However, seeing the Cathedral has for a long time been on my wish list, so I got on the train in Bergamo to make the dream come true. After about 45 minutes I was in Milan. The central station is beautiful but also crowded. I immediately headed for the underground where I took the yellow line to the Duomo. Suddenly I had a flashback from the busy London Underground and I remembered my daily commute to work on a crowded train. As I got off, the gigantic Cathedral suddenly emerged in front of me and the moment was truly amazing. I stood there in the burning sun, mesmerised, looking at the spectacular facade and its intricate ornaments. 


Wolę spędzać czas w mniejszych miastach, najlepiej blisko przyrody, więc odwiedzenie wielkiej metropolii, jaką jest Mediolan wywoływało we mnie mieszane uczucia. Jednak ponieważ zobaczenie Katedry od dawna było na mojej liście, wsiadłam do pociągu w Bergamo i po 45 minutach jazdy, byłam już w Mediolanie. Główny dworzec jest piękny, ale także zatłoczony. Od razu udałam się w kierunku metra, skąd żółtą linią pojechałam do stacji Duomo. Nagle przypomniało mi się londyńskie metro w godzinach szczytu oraz moje codzienne dojazdy do pracy w zatłoczonym pociągu. Gdy wysiadłam, gigantyczna Katedra wyrosła nagle przede mną i był to naprawdę niezwykły moment. Stałam w piekącym słońcu jak zaczarowana, patrząc na zjawiskową fasadę i misternie wykonane ornamenty.



It took nearly six centuries for the Gothic church to be completed and it is now one of the largest churches in the world. It is crowned with 135 spires and decorated with 3200 sculptures of saints and the roof is available to visitors.

Budowa gotyckiej katedry trwała sześć wieków. Dziś, uwieńczona 135 iglicami i udekorowana 3200 posągami świętych, jest jednym z największych kościołów świata. Dach jest dostępny dla zwiedzających.




I climbed over 200 steps to reach the top. From there I could see the panorama of the entire city - the silver skyscrapers in the horizon and the elegant Piazza below. The arch visible in the picture is the entrance to Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele II - a luxury department store.

Pokonałam ponad 200 schodów aby udać się na szczyt, z którego mogłam zobaczyć panoramę całego miasta - srebrne drapacze chmur na horyzoncie, a poniżej elegancki plac. Łuk widoczny na zdjęciu to wejście do Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele II - luksusowego centrum handlowego.

Comments

Popular Posts